My husband will be truthful, thoughtful, funny, sweet, and kind. My husband will love the Lord more than he loves me. My husband will be perfect yet imperfect because even when he messes up, he will know the way back. My husband will be a great dad; he will love children. My husband will put all his work into working for the Lord. My husband will not boast about himself, but he will boast about the works of God. He will take great pride in the creation that God has made for us, and for Jesus dying on the cross. My husband will help keep our children and I on the path towards God. My husband will not let me stray too far from the right path, nor will I let him.
My husband will be 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.
If you’ve read these verses, then you will know how beautiful they are. When I was at Winter Extreme this past winter, one of the girls in my room talked about how to know if the guy you are with is living for God. She said, ” When you read 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, replace the words Love and it with his name. If he is all those things, granted he will mess up, but if he strives to be those things as much as possible, then he’s got a relationship with God. I find this to be a great idea, because if I ever find a guy who I feel is a potential candidate to be my husband, or even my boyfriend for a matter, then his name will match up with the actions.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
My husband will be Love.
I feel like a lot of girls do not realize how worthy they are of a Godly man. I feel the same about guys. I think a lot of guys feel they are not worthy enough to be that man for his wife. As a result to this, they will settle for somebody less than what they deserve, or somebody who will not care, or know to lead them on the right path. Doing this can really effect you as a person, so make sure you choose your potential husband/wife with purpose.
Before you get into a relationship, it is important that you ask yourself, ” Can I see these person potentially being my husband/wife one day?” Sure, they are going to have little things here and there that annoy you such as sometimes they make too many puns, maybe they talk too much during a movie, but I mean do they have the traits of who you want your husband/wife to be. Do you want them to love children? Do you want them to believe in waiting until after marriage? Do you want them to not use foul language? I’m not saying, ‘ oh if they aren’t absolutely perfect, then ditch them.’ Sure, you can meet somebody who is absolutely amazing, but ugh they cuss quite a bit. I feel like personally, in the first place, if they really have a personal relationship with God, they wouldn’t be using such language knowing how God feels about it, but sometimes they stray and don’t realize what they’re doing. So, I say talk to them about what’s bothering you. Tell them what it is directly, and why you don’t agree with it. For instance, if he/she cusses sometimes just go talk to them, be like ‘ hey, I really care for you so this is why I’m coming to you to talk to you about this.’ Let them know you care. If they really care about you, and where they stand in their relationship with God, then they will listen. If they are not willing to try, then they may not be the one you thought they would be. I just wanted to give some advice to those who may be reading, and may be struggling with trying to be more intentional about who they date in the future. I feel like this is something that so many people deal with today!
Now that we’ve covered that, let’s get into something else that I have been wanting to cover. Whenever I have these deep conversations with young ladies and sometimes young men, they have asked me before, ” Hannah, what do you look for in your future husband?” I remember going around circles as well at camps and such where we all said a few things we wanted in our husbands one day as we were drooling over the thoughts of our prince’s.
Here are the things that I personally look for in my husband:
- He will definitely have to have a close relationship with God. They best be bro’s or we out.
- He will love kids, and will want some one day. ( in the future of course )
- He will be okay with waiting until after marriage, and will hopefully have been waiting all his life. I know that in today’s world where sex is advertised as the ‘ norm ‘ everywhere you go, that he may have made that mistake before. I feel like I would be open about it, as everybody makes mistakes, and I myself certainly cannot judge him because all sin weighs the same, none is worse than the other. I would just want him to realize it was something he should’ve waited for and will wait for now.
- I of course look for a man who is not judgmental about others, because he will know that he is not better than anybody because of his skin, religion, faith, looks, or how high on the Good boy’s list he considers himself. I want him to love everybody the same, no matter who they are and what they believe in.
- He will love sacrificially. He will hold doors for others because of the love in his heart. He will do things for others without being asked because of the love in his heart. He will play with children because of the love in his heart. He will not ignore that homeless man on the side of the road, because he will love sacrificially.
- He will always take the time to be as understanding as possible. He will listen to what I have to say, and will not interrupt. He will hear me out, and will not allow me to become a shadow under him.
- He will only speak love and kind words. I want a husband who will not use curse words, and will speak love to others. Sure, sometimes you can get mad at somebody, but he will be intentional about keeping his cool and will remember that even when God has the right to get mad at us, he doesn’t.
- My husband will have humor. He will laugh at my silly grocery store puns, even if he thinks they aren’t that funny. He will be able to laugh even when embarrassing things happen, such as falling or tripping in front of me. He will be a light in this dreary world.
- Finally, he will love my guinea pigs as much as I do. My guinea pigs are basically my children, and he will have to be in love with them. I know that’s probably a long shot, but I know that God has somebody out there for me that will love my guinea pigs as I do. Well, maybe not as much as I do, but close enough.
I have had a lot of people, even guys before who are like ” Why did you just ask me how tight me and God are, that’s irrelevant? Why does it matter if I know God or not?” So, I tell them it’s because I want my husband to have the same faith as I do so that we can raise our children that way, and hopefully set them on the right path, with the helping hand of Jesus. I feel like it’s something that would really worry me if my husband, who is supposed to be the leader of my family, didn’t have a relationship with God. I also just feel like that when a man knows God, he’s a better man than he was before he knew God. Sure, guys who don’t believe in God can be really sweet, kind and thoughtful, but they just don’t have that relationship, that bravery, in believing in something you can’t see. Are you getting at what I’m saying? It’s so hard to explain, but it’s just something that I want in him. It’s just like how if you’re not racist, you wouldn’t want to marry a guy who is! Is that better? I’m trying.
Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed today’s blog post and I’m looking forward to writing some more for y’all! I’m hoping to soon get a lot of posts scheduled, especially for when I go to summer camp with my youth group next week, so bare with me.
Y’all have a blessed day, and don’t forget to love unconditionally!
I’m thinking about starting a Prayer wall on my blog! Who’s game? Comment down below, or if you’d prefer, send me a message by clicking on my contact me tab above to send me your prayer request and I will get to work on that tomorrow 🙂 If you’d like me to include your name let me know, if not then tell me to keep it anonymous or give me a code name. If you don’t tell me either way, then I will keep it anonymous 🙂
35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked.